SubjectRe: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell
Paul Jackson <pj@sgi.com> wrote:

> > How on earth is the kernel supposed to know that for this one particular
> > job you don't care if it takes 3 hours instead of 10 minutes,
>
> I'd pay ten bucks (yeah, I'm a cheapskate) for an option that I could
> twiddle that would mark my nightly updatedb and backup jobs as ones to
> use reduced memory footprint (both for file caching and backing user
> virtual address space), even if it took much longer.
>
> So, rather than protest in mock outrage that it's impossible for the
> kernel to know this, instead answer the question as stated in all
> seriousness ... well ... how _could_ the kernel know, and what _could_
> the kernel do if it knew. What mechanism(s) would be needed so that
> the kernel could restrict a jobs memory usage?

Two things:

a) a knob to say "only reclaim pagecache". We have that now.

b) a knob to say "reclaim vfs caches harder". That's simply a matter of boosting
the return value from shrink_dcache_memory() and perhaps shrink_icache_memory().

It's not quite what you're after, but it's close.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.149 / U:0.144 seconds]