SubjectRe: i2c_get_client() missing?
On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:21:19PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:35:12AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Where do you need to access it from? Why do all of the current drivers
> > not need it?
>
> The "traditional Linux" i2c model is one where the i2c bus is local to
> the card, so the overall driver knows where the bus is, and what devices
> to expect, and it's all nicely encapsulated.
>
> The variant on that is the i2c sensor stuff, where the individual i2c
> bus device drivers export data to userspace themselves.
>
> However, there's another class, where the i2c bus contains things like
> RTC and system control stuff, which can be found on embedded devices.
> Such an i2c bus is often shared between multiple parts of the system,
> and lumping them all together into one massive driver does not make
> sense.

Thats exactly what I tried to say with my other post. Thanks for spelling
it more precisely.

> For instance, one platform I have here has an i2c bus with a RTC on,
> and optionally a couple of EEPROMs giving the dimentions of the memory
> on a couple of expansion boards. It doesn't make sense to lump the
> RTC code along side the memory controller configuration code, along
> with the i2c bus driver.

Again, exatly what I thought when I split up I2C RTC chip access and
higher level RTC device handling stuff.

> I2C is much much more than sensors and graphics capture chips.

Definitely.

> --
> Russell King
> Linux kernel 2.6 ARM Linux - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
> maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/
> 2.6 Serial core
> -

Eletztrick Computing - Customized Linux Development
Stefan Eletzhofer, Marktstrasse 43, DE-88214 Ravensburg
http://www.eletztrick.de