SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] vesafb and *fb
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, James Simmons wrote:
> I don't know why it is that way. I would think it should fail at this
> point. Anyone know why this is?

I searched through my mailing list archives of lkml and fbdev in 2001, but
couldn't find who submitted the original patch. I guess it came from Alan.

Anyway, if this really is a problem for some people, we can always add a
`video=vesafb:force' flag for the unhappy few.

> > Yesterday I noticed on a box at work that if you compile in both vesafb and
> > atyfb (the box has an ATI 3D RAGE PRO), you get both fb0 (atyfb) and fb1
> > (vesafb). That's not supposed to happen.
> >
> > Vesafb did print that the frame buffer was already in use, but it just
> > continued, cfr. this code:
> >
> > if (!request_mem_region(vesafb_fix.smem_start, vesafb_fix.smem_len, "vesafb")) {
> > printk(KERN_WARNING
> > "vesafb: abort, cannot reserve video memory at 0x%lx\n",
> > vesafb_fix.smem_start);
> > /* We cannot make this fatal. Sometimes this comes from magic
> > spaces our resource handlers simply don't know about */
> > }
> >
> > That was on plain 2.6.5. But to my surprise the latest 2.4 behaves the same.
> > This seems to have been changed in 2.4.15.
> > Does anyone know why this was changed?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds