    SubjectRe: standart events for hotkeys?
    Date
    Chris Meadors wrote:
    > Michal Semler wrote:
    >
    > > and this is what I mean. We should start project collecting this. As PCI cards
    > > list for example.
    >
    > There are as many e-mail keys codes as there are e-mail programs. And
    > I'm sure there is over lap, where one keyboard's e-mail key, generates
    > the same code as another's web browser key.

    See below.

    > Also it doesn't really
    > matter what a key is labeled, it could be assigned to anything.

    Well, this is a secondary matter.

    > What there should be is a program that is configurable, that says when
    > you see this key event, do this. And such programs do exist, for
    > example the GNOME desktop has ACME.

    Recent X versions have keysyms for the multimedia keys, with
    names like XF86AudioPlay, XF86VolumeUp etc. In your keyboard
    setup you can choose an inet module specific for your
    multimedia keyboard (provided it's supported) and the scancodes
    will be converted to the correct keycodes with the attached
    "multimedia" keysyms, which you can then map to the whatever
    action you might want.

    > All that has to be done is make sure the kernel passes this codes, and
    > the user space program can gather them. That seems to be working now.

    Or rather not, due to the RAW mode emulation (see also my posts
    on my problems with configuring the multimedia keys of my Dell
    Inspiron 8200 with the 2.6 kernels).

    --
    Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

    Can't you see
    It all makes perfect sense
    Expressed in dollar and cents
    Pounds shillings and pence
    (Roger Waters)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.024 / U:0.560 seconds]