    SubjectRe: File system compression, not at the block layer
    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Paul Jackson wrote:
    > > > SO... in addition to the brilliance of AS, is there anything else that
    > > > can be done (using compression or something else) which could aid in
    > > > reducing seek time?
    > >
    > > Buy more disks and only use a small portion of each for all but the
    > > most infrequently accessed data.
    > faster drives. The biggest disks at this point are far slower that the
    > fastest... the average read service time on a maxtor atlas 15k is like
    > 5.7ms on 250GB western digital sata, 14.1ms, so that more than twice as
    > many reads can be executed on the fastest disks you can buy now... of
    > course then you pay for it in cost, heat, density, and controller costs.
    > everthing is a tradeoff though.

    If you want to have fast disks, then you should do what I
    suggested to Digital 20 years ago when they had ST-506
    interfaces and SCSI was available only from third-parties.
    It was called "striping" (I'm serious!). Not the so-called
    RAID crap that took the original idea and destroyed it.
    If you have 32-bits, you design an interface board for 32
    disks. The interface board strips each bit to the data that
    each disk gets. That makes the whole array 32 times faster
    than a single drive and, of course, 32 times larger.

    There is no redundancy in such an array, just brute-force
    speed. One can add additional bits and CRC correction which
    would allow the failure (or removal) of one drive at a time.

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.26 on an i686 machine (5557.45 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.019 / U:8.824 seconds]