SubjectRe: Large inlines in include/linux/skbuff.h
James Morris wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Andi Kleen wrote:
>

>>>How will these changes impact performance? I asked this last time you
>>>posted about inlines and didn't see any response.
>>>

>>I don't think it will be an issue. The optimization guidelines
>>of AMD and Intel recommend to move functions that generate
>>more than 30-40 instructions out of line. 100 instructions
>>is certainly enough to amortize the call overhead, and you
>>safe some icache too so it may be even faster.
>>

>Of course, but it would be good to see some measurements.
>

>- James

It depends a lot of the workload of the machine.

If this a specialized machine, with a small program that mostly uses
recv() & send() syscalls, then, inlining functions is a gain, since
icache may have a 100% hit ratio. Optimization guidelines are good for
the common cases, not every cases.

Eric Dumazet

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.937 / U:0.672 seconds]