    SubjectRe: tcp vulnerability? haven't seen anything on it here...
    On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 09:46, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, jamal wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 04:23, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
    > >
    > > > Yes, but it is possible, expecially for long sessions.
    > >
    > > In other words, 80% or more of internet traffic would not be affected
    > > still using http1.0 would not be affected.
    > > And for something like a huge download to just regular joe, this is more
    > > of a nuisance assuming some kiddie has access between you and the
    > > server.
    >
    > No, TCP/IP is 100% vulnerable to the man-in-the-middle attach.
    > There is no cure for that.

    Unless its a private network with locked vaults for the pipes, any
    network is vulnerable.
    I am not trying to downplay the relevance of this; all i am saying
    is it may a little overhyped with the media being involved. Its
    infact harder to create this attack compared to a simple SYN attack.

    On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 09:58, Florian Weimer wrote:
    jamal <hadi@cyberus.ca> writes:

    > > OTOH, long lived BGP sessions are affected assuming you are going across
    > > hostile path to your peer.
    >
    > Hostile path is not required. Not at all. 8-(

    Unless i misunderstood:
    You need someone/thing to see about 64K packets within a single flow
    to make the predicition so the attack is succesful. Sure to have access to
    such capability is to be in a hostile path, no? ;->

    > And it's not BGP specific. You might be able to use this attack to
    > split IRC networks, too. However, it's a bit harder in this case
    > because IRC servers usually use more random source ports.

    Any long lived flow with close to fixed ports. FTP from kernel.org could
    be vulnerable - get a better client and its just becomes a nuisance.
    80% of the internet traffic is still TCP/HTTP1.0 which is very
    short lived (there could be changes lately - these are numbers from
    a while back) i.e you wont see more than 8 packets i.e it is highly unlikely
    your traffic there is affected even if you used fixed ports.

    cheers,
    jamal