SubjectRe: /dev/psaux-Interface

>> The driver was originally written by Lee Sau Dan
>> http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~danlee/fun/psaux/ but I
>> fixed some bugs (most importantly SMP).
>>
>> I've seen lots of discussions about different mouse behaviour
>> (or completely non-functioning mouse). If you have one of those
>> problems, this driver should restore the kernel 2.4.x
>> behaviour.
>>
>> Any suggestions/hopes to get it included into mainstream
>> kernel?

Andrew> I'd imagine that the input developers would regard that as
Andrew> a step in the wrong direction.

I know what you mean. But please see

http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~danlee/fun/psaux/

for my arguments against the direction currently taken by the input
developers.

Moreover, while most people report problems of various severity with
the mouse after upgrading to 2.6, the direct psaux port does solve
most of those problems, providing a smooth migration path. Actually,
I would still be staying with 2.4.* if I didn't write my psaux module,
because the touchscreen function on my notebook is important to me. I
have written my XFree86 driver for it, and I'm not going to port it to
kernel space.

While most Linux people frown upon Microsoft for putting the GUI in
the NT kernel, I frown upon the input developers for moving the
functions of 'gpm' into kernel space. I can't see any good reasons to
deprecate 'gpm' that way.

Andrew> Have you sent a report regarding the touchscreen problem?

No. That's not a problem specific with my touchscreen. It's a
general problem with the design of the input layer. It is
implementing *policies* (on how to interpret data read from the
PS2/AUX port), instead of providing a *mechanism* to access (read and
write) that port.

Andrew> Is it a straightforward bug, or has real functionality
Andrew> been lost?

Yes. Directly talking to a device on the PS2/AUX port (like what we
can do to a RS232 port) is no longer possible in 2.6, until my psaux
module. This is certainly a lost functionality.

See my page with URL given above for a more detailed discussion.

--
Sau Dan LEE 李守敦(Big5) ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de