SubjectRe: vmscan.c heuristic adjustment for smaller systems
On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 04:51:51PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> wrote:

> > > How on earth can it take half a minute to list /proc?
> >
> > I've watched the vmscan code at work. The memory pressure is so high
> > that it reclaims mapped pages zealously. The program's code pages are
> > being evicted frequently.
>
> Which tends to imply that the VM is not reclaiming any of that nfs-backed
> pagecache.

I don't think that's the whole story. They question is why.

> > I've been wondering if the swappiness isn't a red herring. Is it
> > reasonable that the distress value (in refill_inactive_zones ()) be
> > 50?
>
> I'd assume that setting swappiness to zero simply means that you still have
> all of your libc in pagecache when running ls.

Perhaps. I think it is more important that it is still mapped.

> What happens if you do the big file copy, then run `sync', then do the ls?

It still takes a long time. I'm watching the network load as I
perform the ls. There's almost 20 seconds of no screen activity while
NFS reloads the code.

> Have you experimented with the NFS mount options? v2? UDP?

Doesn't seem to matter. I've used v2, v3, UDP and TCP.

I have more data.

All of these tests are performed at the console, one command at a
time. I have a telnet daemon available, so I open a second connection
to the target system. I run a continuous loop of file copies on the
console and I execute 'ls -l /proc' in the telnet window. It's a
little slow, but it isn't unreasonable. Hmm. I then run the copy
command in the telnet window followed by the 'ls -l /proc'. It works
fine. I logout of the console session and perform the telnet window
test again. The 'ls -l /proc takes 30 seconds.

When there is more than one process running, everything is peachy.
When there is only one process (no context switching) I see the slow
performance. I had a hypothesis, but my test of that hypothesis
failed.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.074 / U:0.536 seconds]