SubjectRe: reiser4 and megaraid problems with debian 2.6.5
[ bringing this also on reiserfs ml, a great place for this kind
of posts. this is also the reason of the full quoting. sorry ]

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:51:53AM +0200, Paul Wagland wrote:
> Hi all,

hi Paul,

> I would like to report on a problem that I am having. I am just testing
> out the new megaraid unified driver, and have been doing some baseline
> testing with bonnie++.
>
> My problem is that, although reiserfs, ext2, jfs and xfs all work,
> reiser4 fails with the following error:
> ---
> Can't write block.
> Bonnie: drastic I/O error (write(2)): No such file or directory
> ---
>
> I am using the debian prepared kernel with the debian reiser4 patch. I
> made a cursory examination of the patch, and it appears to correlate
> fairly closely with the patch from the namesys site.

of course it is correlated to that of namesys! i have no skills at all
to invent reiser4 :))

you forgot to specify version of the patch you are talking about,
currently debian provides two versions. anyway i suppose you are talking
about version 20040326-2, aren't you?

> Given that this works with reiserfs, ext2, jfs and xfs it would appear
> to be a reiser4 problem, however ext3 also fails, though with a
> different error, it claims that the disk is full, but it is trying to
> write a 2 1GB files onto a 2.5GB filesystem, so it should have enough
> room, and indeed it did even work two or three times out of about 10
> runs (lots of timing :-). This implies that it might be a megaraid
> problem. As you can tell, I really have no idea ;-)
>
> I will try playing around tonight with an official kernel and the
> official reiser4 patch to see if that makes any difference, but would
> just like to raise this potential problem sooner rather than later.

latest reiser4 snapshot provided a patch which applied cleanly on
2.6.5-rc2 but not to 2.6.5. i had to modify it as suggested on the
reiserfs ml. if you look at the debian package's changelog you can find
the reference to that thread.

> If I can help debug this situation (I am probably the only person
> trying this combination :-) please let me know how I should go about
> it.

i'm sorry but i can't help further.

cheers
domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
--[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.121 / U:0.092 seconds]