    SubjectRe: epoll reporting events when it hasn't been asked to
    Davide Libenzi wrote:

    >On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Ben Mansell wrote:
    >>>If an exception occurs (example a socket is disconnected) the socket
    >>>should be removed from the fd list. There is really no point in passing
    >>>in an excepted fd.
    >>Is there any difference, speed-wise, between turning off all events to
    >>listen to with EPOLL_MOD, and removing the file descriptor with
    >>EPOLL_DEL? I had vaguely assumed that the former would be faster
    >>(especially if you might later want to resume listening for events),
    >>although that was just a guess.

    I'd like to weigh in on this issue as I'm having the same issue as Ben.
    My application doesnt consider these to be exceptional events, but
    normal expected events, and thus
    I need them to be handled like normal events. (I can explain more off
    list if you'd like)
    So I just want to ignore all events for some time and then deal with any
    HUP's or ERR's at the appropriate time.
    When I used poll(), I always accomplished this by leaving this fd out of
    the poll fd set.
    This wasnt a huge hit because I basically had to rebuild the poll fd set
    at every iteration anyway as it changes rapidly.

    Now I'm switching to epoll, and the great thing about the epoll
    interface is I don't have to rebuild the entire fd set at every iteration.
    Like Ben, I'd prefer to be able to disable ALL events on a fd descriptor
    for some time, instead of removing it entirely.
    Since with poll I had to rebuild the set anyway, this 'disable' feature
    wasnt really useful, but would be a nice-to-have for epoll.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.044 / U:33.544 seconds]