SubjectRe: Rewrite Kernel
Denis Vlasenko wrote:

>>I doubt you would be capable of generating assembly that would be any
>>faster than gcc, and you would inherit all the accidental difficulties
>>that come with engineering software at a lower-level.
>>

>No, writing 'better than gcc' assembly is easy, gcc is far from stellar
>in this regard. But it's painfully slow and non-portable.

How can "painfully slow and non-portable" be better? You mean faster?

Doesn't change the fact that I doubt he could write faster assembly. By
the time he got done doing it in assembly, gcc 5 would probably be out
generating much faster binaries, not to mention new major stable kernel
revisions.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.072 / U:0.684 seconds]