SubjectRe: [Announce] Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 802.11b driver

Dax Kelson wrote:

> Is it is really *firmware*, in that it loads and executes purely within
> the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 itself and not in the linux kernel on the
> main CPU? If so, bravo!

Yes, it is really firmware. It is loaded from disk as a block of data and
passed to the card. The system CPU doesn't execute anything out of the
firmware, nor does the firmware know anything about the kernel.

> Does a similar effort exist for the upcoming Sonoma 802.11a/b/g
> component? Will Linux support be available for Sonoma at launch?

It is our intention to support a/b/g WLAN with a driver for Linux, but details
are being worked out so we have no dates or commitment at this time.

Thanks,
James

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans