    SubjectRe: A Layered Kernel: Proposal
    > While coding, think coding. While designing, think designing. Design comes
    > before coding; otherwise you design while coding, and produce a mess.

    You are describing, roughly, the waterfall model of software development.

    Linux kernel work is closer to something resembling the prototype
    and/or spiral model.

    See further explanations of these terms, for instance, at:

    But, in any case, Linux kernel work _does_ have a rather extensively
    articulated development model which we find is working rather well,
    thank-you. For all I know, this methodology was defined by some
    traumatic event at the birth of Linus - whatever - seems to work.

    When in Rome, do as the Romans. And especially don't be surprised
    at being pushed aside if you protest that we aren't behaving as the

    I won't rest till it's the best ...
    Programmer, Linux Scalability
    Paul Jackson <> 1.650.933.1373

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.019 / U:5.836 seconds]