SubjectRe: A Layered Kernel: Proposal
> While coding, think coding. While designing, think designing. Design comes
> before coding; otherwise you design while coding, and produce a mess.

You are describing, roughly, the waterfall model of software development.

Linux kernel work is closer to something resembling the prototype
and/or spiral model.

See further explanations of these terms, for instance, at:

But, in any case, Linux kernel work _does_ have a rather extensively
articulated development model which we find is working rather well,
thank-you. For all I know, this methodology was defined by some
traumatic event at the birth of Linus - whatever - seems to work.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. And especially don't be surprised
at being pushed aside if you protest that we aren't behaving as the

I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability
Paul Jackson <> 1.650.933.1373