    SubjectRe: External kernel modules, second try
    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:32:14 +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

    > Now with mainline, when building external modules they will end up not
    > having modversions. This is caused by the way .tmp_versions is handled,
    > and is a real problem. There are two different ways how we are building
    > external modules today:
    > (1) after the kernel source tree was just compiled, so the kernel
    > source tree still contains all the object files,
    > (2) in a separate step, against an almost clean kernel source tree.
    > Almost-clean means the tree contains a set of configuration files,
    > and the modversions dump file.
    > The modversions dump file elegantly solves both cases.

    However, one little problem still remains: What if external modules from
    one package need to use symbols from modules which are also external, but
    in a different package? We have a similar situation in 2.4.x with lirc
    modules, which reference symbols from bttv (and bttv is built in a
    separate package together with some other out-of-tree v4l modules, because
    they need a common tuner module).

    - Create a subdirectory for modversions dump files (the dump file for the
    kernel will go into modversions/kernel).

    - Allow multiple "-i DUMPFILE" options in modpost. Wildcard handling will
    be in the Makefiles:

    modver_files := $(wildcard $(srctree)/modversions/*)
    modpost_input_flags := $(addprefix -i ,$(modver_files))

    - Make "-o NEWDUMPFILE" work properly even after "-i DUMPFILE" (mark all
    symbols which were read from a dump file and do not output such symbols
    when writing the new dump file).

    - Add a way to specify the output dump filename for modpost when building
    external modules.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.023 / U:14.360 seconds]