SubjectRe: External kernel modules, second try
On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 15:01, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 14:46, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > and it's missing the symbols from
> > module files.
> sure but the module files are generally installed...

Not when building for five different configurations on one machine. (And
this is not a theoretical case.)

> > Now it would be possible to extract the modver symbols from the
> > installed vmlinux and .ko files when needed, but note that we may be
> > building modules for kernels that are not currently running, and for
> > which those binaries are not even installed. So this sounds like a bad
> > idea.
> I don't personally care about those; you need SOME stuff to build
> against obviously, and vmlinux is well over the top I agree that. But
> assuming the .ko's for the modules are need those to use the
> kernel anyway.

The .ko's are really not there. And even if they were, I don't think we
want to teach modpost to poke around in /lib/modules when it can be
avoided easily.

Andreas Gruenbacher <>