    SubjectRe: External kernel modules, second try
    On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 15:01, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 14:46, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
    > > and it's missing the symbols from
    > > module files.
    > sure but the module files are generally installed...

    Not when building for five different configurations on one machine. (And
    this is not a theoretical case.)

    > > Now it would be possible to extract the modver symbols from the
    > > installed vmlinux and .ko files when needed, but note that we may be
    > > building modules for kernels that are not currently running, and for
    > > which those binaries are not even installed. So this sounds like a bad
    > > idea.
    > I don't personally care about those; you need SOME stuff to build
    > against obviously, and vmlinux is well over the top I agree that. But
    > assuming the .ko's for the modules are need those to use the
    > kernel anyway.

    The .ko's are really not there. And even if they were, I don't think we
    want to teach modpost to poke around in /lib/modules when it can be
    avoided easily.

    Andreas Gruenbacher <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.020 / U:61.120 seconds]