    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.2, AMD kernel: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident
    On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:55:54PM +0000, Dave Jones wrote:
    > On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:00:16PM +0100, Davi Leal wrote:
    >> What about this message?. Note that the system works. I have not had to
    >> reboot. What meens the below message?.
    > The original plan behind that option was to find hardware faults early,
    > but it seems to trigger a lot of false positives for various reasons.
    > Part of this problem is that MCEs can also be generated on some hardware
    > by doing something silly like reading from a reserved part of your
    > motherboard chipset..

    The MCE stuff truly did find a hardware fault early for me; my
    Athlon system was MCE'ing and I ignored it, and later I got sig11
    errors and fs corruption, which I finally traced to a failing stick
    of memory.

    > There are also CPU errata that can cause them to falsely trigger in
    > some unusual cases, but I've not had time to go through the various
    > errata datasheets to blacklist affected CPUs unfortunatly.
    > I'm toying with the idea of marking it CONFIG_BROKEN for 2.6,
    > and fixing it up later.

    I wouldn't be so quick to write off MCEs as bugs or errata,
    especially if the exceptions have only just begun showing up.
    Running CPUBurn, memtest86 and the like is still probably a good
    idea, especially if you value the data on your file system.

    Joseph Fannin

    "Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot." -- Rusty Russell.
      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.023 / U:9.436 seconds]