SubjectRe: kgdb support in vanilla 2.6.2
Amit S. Kale wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 5:22 am, George Anzinger wrote:
>
>>Andrew Morton wrote:

>>>Yes, that can be confusing. A little printk on the console prior to
>>>entering the debugger would be nice.
>>
>>That assumes that one can do a printk and not run into a lock. Far better
>>IMNSHO is to provide a simple way to get it from gdb. One can then even
>>provide a gdb macro to print the relevant source line and its surrounds. I
>>my lighter moments I call this the comefrom macro :) In my kgdb it would
>>look like:
>>
>>l * kgdb_info.called_from
>

> How about echoing "Waiting for gdb connection" stright into the serial line
> without any encoding? Since gdb won't be connected to the other end, and many
> a times a minicom could be running at the other end, it'll give a user an
> indication of kgdb being ready.

Uh, different solution for a different problem. The above command to gdb causes
the source code around the location "kgdb_info.called_from" to be displayed. In
the -mm version, this is location is filled in by kgdb with the return address
for the "kgdb_handle_exception()". This allows you to see just why you are in kgdb.

--
George Anzinger george@mvista.com