    SubjectRe: older kernels + new glibc?
        Hi Richard :)

    * Richard B. Johnson <> dixit:
    > For glibc compatibility you need to get rid of the sym-link(s)
    > /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux in older distributions.
    > You need to replace those with headers copied from the kernel
    > in use when the C runtime library was compiled. If you can't find
    > those, you can either upgrade your C runtime library, or copy
    > headers from some older kernel that was known to work.
    > In any event, you need to remove the sym-link that ends up
    > pointing to your 'latest and greatest' kernel.

    Mmm, I'm confused. As far as I knew, you *should* use symlinks to
    your current (running) kernel includes for /usr/include/asm and
    /usr/include/linux. I've been doing this for years (in fact I
    compiled my libc back in the 2.2 days IIRC), without problems. Why it
    should be avoided and what kind of problems may arise if someone
    (like me) has those symlinks?

    User space programs should not use kernel headers, so this
    shouldn't be a problem, and kernel related tools should use the
    headers from the current (running) kernel or a similar version (here
    'similar' as a broad meaning, I think, let's say that it means 'same
    series as the running kernel, but newer), but I'm afraid I'm missing

    Thanks in advance :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

    Linux Registered User 88736 &

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.022 / U:18.624 seconds]