    SubjectRe: Binary-only firmware covered by the GPL?
    At Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:33:39 +0000,
    Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    > I realise there's a grey area between "magic data you write to a device"
    > and "a program that is executed on a different processor". For example,
    > palette data for a frame buffer. But nobody's arguing for that grey
    > area here -- it's clearly a program without source code that Debian
    > can't distribute.

    Well, I also think this is grey area.

    But think about: why can we distribute assembler only code in linux
    kernel? It's near to binary form (objdump -d is your friend).

    If they insist this source code is GPL, then I think this code is
    covered under GPL at least for this case. If it's GPL, then we can
    derive the newer firmware code from this original ql2100_fw.c freely.

    -- gotom

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.023 / U:1.676 seconds]