    SubjectRe: [patch 1/22] Add __early_param for all arches wrote:
    > Hello. The following is outcome of talking with David Woodhouse about
    > the need in various parts of the kernel to parse the command line very
    > early and set some options based on what we read. The result is
    > __early_param("arg", fn) based very heavily on the macro of the same name
    > in the arm kernel. The following is the core of these changes, adding the
    > macro, struct and externs to <linux/init.h>, the parser to init/main.c
    > and converting console= to this format. As a follow on to this thread are
    > patches against all arches (vs 2.6.5-rc2) to use the global define of
    > saved_command_line, add the appropriate bits to
    > arch/$(ARCH)/kernel/ and in some cases, convert params
    > from the old arch-specific variant to the new __early_param way.

    I don't recall seeing this requirement mentioned before, and that's a ton
    of patches you have there.

    Please tell us a little more about why we need these patches. (Apart from
    what seems to be a moderate amount of code consolidation).

    Also, what is different between __setup and __early_setup? Why is it not
    possible to make __setup run sufficiently early for whatever application is
    requiring these changes?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:3.440 seconds]