SubjectRe: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review
Neil Brown wrote:
> Choice is good. Competition is good. I would not try to interfere
> with you creating a new "emd" driver that didn't interfere with "md".
> What Linus would think of it I really don't know. It is certainly not
> impossible that he would accept it.

Agreed.

Independent DM efforts have already started supporting MD raid0/1
metadata from what I understand, though these efforts don't seem to post
to linux-kernel or linux-raid much at all. :/

> However I'm not sure that having three separate device-array systems
> (dm, md, emd) is actually a good idea. It would probably be really
> good to unite md and dm somehow, but no-one seems really keen on
> actually doing the work.

I would be disappointed if all the work that has gone into the MD driver
is simply obsoleted by new DM targets. Particularly RAID 1/5/6.

You pretty much echoed my sentiments exactly... ideally md and dm can
be bound much more tightly to each other. For example, convert md's
raid[0156].c into device mapper targets... but indeed, nobody has
stepped up to do that so far.

Jeff