    SubjectRe: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review
    Neil Brown wrote:
    > Choice is good. Competition is good. I would not try to interfere
    > with you creating a new "emd" driver that didn't interfere with "md".
    > What Linus would think of it I really don't know. It is certainly not
    > impossible that he would accept it.

    Independent DM efforts have already started supporting MD raid0/1
    metadata from what I understand, though these efforts don't seem to post
    to linux-kernel or linux-raid much at all. :/

    > However I'm not sure that having three separate device-array systems
    > (dm, md, emd) is actually a good idea. It would probably be really
    > good to unite md and dm somehow, but no-one seems really keen on
    > actually doing the work.

    I would be disappointed if all the work that has gone into the MD driver
    is simply obsoleted by new DM targets. Particularly RAID 1/5/6.

    You pretty much echoed my sentiments exactly... ideally md and dm can
    be bound much more tightly to each other. For example, convert md's
    raid[0156].c into device mapper targets... but indeed, nobody has
    stepped up to do that so far.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.019 / U:8.764 seconds]