SubjectRe: ANYONE? Re: SMP + Hyperthreading / Asus PCDL Deluxe / Kernel 2.4.x 2.6.x / Crash/Freeze
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Richard Browning wrote:

> On Monday 22 March 2004 07:25, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > Aha! A single thread? A specific asm insn? Is gcc --version enough to kill
> > the machine? Or on smth like
> > int main(void)
> > {return 0;}
> > gcc -E; gcc -S; gcc -c; ld? Step-by-step with gdb (hopefully, gdb doesn't
> > have this insn...). NMI watchdog?
>
> gcc -version is fine. A compile will cause the problem.
>
> It should be noted that whilst a ./configure cycle is *guaranteed* to initiate
> the MCE, the MCE can occur on other (seemingly random) occasions.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. I had 0 time (writing before
going to work, like now). So, what I really wanted to ask is the
following:

1) does gcc (compile) always cause an MCE?
2) If yes, can you try to narrow it down by
a) running separately different gcc stages on a trivial C-program,
like the one above (preprocessor with gcc -E, produce assembly
output with gcc -S, compile without linking with gcc -c, link with
ld)
b) once you've figured out which stage causes it, try to further
narrow it down by running this stage under gdb. Since you
re-compiled gcc yourself, you should have the sources at hand, and
should be able set up a couple of break-points to narrow it down
gradually, eventually coming to a single assembly instruction - if
my suspicion is right.

> This of course smacks of hardware failure, but not only are the components new
> I have also swapped them all (excluding graphics card.) And, don't forget,
> simple dual 'SMP' mode works fine too.

I know. You can compile with the Java compiler, but not with gcc. Can you
explain, why? I cannot.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.079 / U:0.548 seconds]