    SubjectRe: ATARAID/FakeRAID/HPTRAID/PDCRAID as dm targets?
    Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
    > Wilfried Weissmann wrote:
    >>Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > Jeff: May I request your docs?

    Unfortunately not, but I can get you in touch with somebody at Promise
    who can. They're definitely interested in working with the open source
    community. Not public...

    > Well, I had something in mind which closely resembles the ataraid-detect
    > tool Thomas Horsten (Medley RAID) suggested.
    > OK, I was even aiming for less: Write an ataraid-detect tool which outputs
    > the correct mapping for dmsetup. If I manage to write it generically
    > enough, it can be integrated into evms or used as a standalone program,
    > whatever you like.

    That's pretty nice. Very Unix-ish: provide a small, pluggable piece
    that does one thing, and does it well.

    >>1. its all within evms
    >>There is no need for additional tools required to setup the volume
    >>(thinking about installers and initrd...).
    > The EVMS sample initrd is HUGE. (2.1 MB) I'm aiming for a initrd size of
    > less than 1/10 of that.

    Cool :)

    >>4. nice clickety-click user interface
    >>Especially useful for lazy people like me. ;)
    > I prefer the "no user interface" approach. But then again, I'm biased.

    Agreed -- a minimal implementation is needed first anyway. The BIOS of
    these proprietary RAID thingies typically provides the user interface.

    >>What do you think?
    > I'll use your work as a foundation. First step is integrating detection
    > for non-HPT arrays. If the code looks too messy after that, I still can
    > refactor it.
    > As soon as I have some code to get at least PDCRAID working, I'll post again.

    Feel free to ask me questions, too.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.023 / U:0.468 seconds]