SubjectRe: ATARAID/FakeRAID/HPTRAID/PDCRAID as dm targets?
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Wilfried Weissmann wrote:
>>Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Jeff: May I request your docs?

Unfortunately not, but I can get you in touch with somebody at Promise
who can. They're definitely interested in working with the open source
community. Not public...

> Well, I had something in mind which closely resembles the ataraid-detect
> tool Thomas Horsten (Medley RAID) suggested.
> OK, I was even aiming for less: Write an ataraid-detect tool which outputs
> the correct mapping for dmsetup. If I manage to write it generically
> enough, it can be integrated into evms or used as a standalone program,
> whatever you like.

That's pretty nice. Very Unix-ish: provide a small, pluggable piece
that does one thing, and does it well.

>>1. its all within evms
>>There is no need for additional tools required to setup the volume
>>(thinking about installers and initrd...).
> The EVMS sample initrd is HUGE. (2.1 MB) I'm aiming for a initrd size of
> less than 1/10 of that.

Cool :)

>>4. nice clickety-click user interface
>>Especially useful for lazy people like me. ;)
> I prefer the "no user interface" approach. But then again, I'm biased.

Agreed -- a minimal implementation is needed first anyway. The BIOS of
these proprietary RAID thingies typically provides the user interface.

>>What do you think?
> I'll use your work as a foundation. First step is integrating detection
> for non-HPT arrays. If the code looks too messy after that, I still can
> refactor it.
> As soon as I have some code to get at least PDCRAID working, I'll post again.

Feel free to ask me questions, too.