    SubjectRe: can device drivers return non-ram via vm_ops->nopage?
    On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:44:44PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
    > Yes, I'm sorry about that, but the ->nopage usage was requested by Jeff
    > Garzik and we're not gurus for the VM stuff. Because we're probably first
    > starting using of this mapping scheme, it resulted to problems.

    Well, I've been told to effectively screw my idea by David Woodhouse,
    so may I make the radical suggestion that rm -rf linux/sound would
    also fix the problem. No, didn't think that was acceptable either.

    Ok, so, how the fsck do we fix the sound drivers? How do we mmap()
    memory provided by dma_alloc_coherent() into user space portably?

    It appears from what David Woodhouse has been going on about, even
    providing an architecture dma_coherent_to_page() interface isn't
    acceptable.

    If we can't answer that question, we might as well remove ALSA and
    OSS from the kernel because they are abusing existing kernel
    interfaces in ways which can not be solved.

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/