    SubjectRe: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review
    Hi.

    <snip beginning of discsussion about DDF, etc>

    > With DM, what happens when your initrd gets accidentally corrupted?
    > What happens when the kernel and userland pieces get out of sync?
    > Maybe you are booting off of a single drive and only using DM arrays
    > for secondary storage, but maybe you're not. If something goes wrong
    > with DM, how do you boot?

    Tell me something... Do you guys release a driver for WinXP as an
    example? You don't have to answer that really as it's obvious that
    you do. Do you in the installation program recompile the windows
    kernel so that your driver is monolithic? The answer is most presumably
    no - that's not how it's done there.

    Ok. Your example states "what if initrd gets corrupted" and my example
    is "what if you driver file(s) get corrupted?" and my example
    is equally important to a module in linux as it is a driver in windows.

    Now, since you do supply a windows driver and that driver is NOT
    statically linked to the windows kernel why is it that you believe
    a meta driver (which MD really is in a sense) needs special treatment
    (static linking into the kernel) when for instance a driver for a piece
    of hardware doesn't? If you have disk corruption so far that your
    initrd is corrupted I would seriously suggest NOT booting that OS
    that's on that drive regardless of anything else and sticking it
    in another box OR booting from rescue media of some sort.

    // Stefan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:0.060 seconds]