SubjectRe: SiS APIC, hacker looking for docs/help, was : Re: 2.6.4 under heavy ioload disables sis5513 DMA
Date
<snip>
> > Dunno how DMA timeout is related to interrupts or are you suggesting it
> > is loosing dma-complete interrupts?
> >
> > I don't know the details (yet I hope), but I'm quite sure that interrupt
> > handling in XT-PIC mode leads to problems on several SiS configurations
> > (when you reorganize PCI cards in a system and the behaviour changes or
> > when you disable the VGA IRQ and some things start to work, the suspect
> > becomes obvious). One user reported that putting 2 disks on one channel
> > instead of one on each (so 1 IRQ used instead of 2) solve instability
> > issues too... I ruled out IDE driver problems several times by
> > repeatedly checking the code and the run-time register values against
> > known-good values. My lack of knowledge on the interrupt handling
> > details is what prevents me from being 100% sure that the problem lies
> > here. This is why I'm willing to work on this subject.

I had a report that my patch helped an sis740 board run in apic ioapic mode.
Don't know if it would help your situation. Here is relevant link.

There is a problem with apm mode with my patch - small fix here if reqd.