    SubjectRe: Scheduler: Process priority fed back to parent?
    On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:16:50AM -0500, Timothy Miller wrote:

    > This way, after gcc has run a few times, it'll be flagged as a CPU-bound
    > process and every time it's run after that point, it is always run at an
    > appropriate priority. Similarly, the first time xmms is run, its
    > interactivity estimate won't be right, but after it's determined to be
    > interactive, then the next time the program is launched, it STARTS with
    > an appropriate priority: no ramp-up time.

    This is something that I've thought of doing in the past. The reason I
    didn't pursue it further is that it's impossible to get it right for
    all cases, and it attacks the problem in the wrong place. The kernel
    shouldn't need to guess(timate) what the process is going to do. The
    userspace programmer, who knows what his process is going to do,
    should tell the kernel.

    Cheers,
    Muli
    --
    Muli Ben-Yehuda
    http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.033 / U:0.216 seconds]