    SubjectRe: ksoftirqd using mysteriously high amounts of CPU time
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Please ensure that the machine was booted with `profile=1' on
    > the kernel boot command line. The cost of this is negligible.
    > When the problem starts happening, run:
    > sudo readprofile -r
    > sleep 10
    > sudo readprofile -n -v -m /boot/ | sort -n +2 | tail -40
    > (make sure that /boot/ refers to the currently-running kernel)

    Gave the machine a bit of a workout to create the problem sooner than
    usual, albeit on a smaller scale. ksoftirqd consumed about 4.7% of the
    CPU according to top after several concurrent wget operations, and had
    accumulated about 6 seconds of runtime, unheard of for a system uptime
    of 15 minutes; the output attached is during this.

    Hopefully I'm right in assuming that; on all other systems I've
    experimented with ksoftirqd doesn't even flinch unless subjected to

    Did some further testing with a machine of identical configuration
    (suffers the same issue too); removed iptables from the suspects list,
    as the issue exists sans those modules.

    Hopefully the attached shows some irregularity. If not, I'll have to
    reply back in a few weeks when the problem recurs over the course of time.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.019 / U:75.864 seconds]