SubjectRe: ksoftirqd using mysteriously high amounts of CPU time
Andrew Morton wrote:
> Please ensure that the machine was booted with `profile=1' on
> the kernel boot command line. The cost of this is negligible.
> When the problem starts happening, run:
> sudo readprofile -r
> sleep 10
> sudo readprofile -n -v -m /boot/ | sort -n +2 | tail -40
> (make sure that /boot/ refers to the currently-running kernel)

Gave the machine a bit of a workout to create the problem sooner than
usual, albeit on a smaller scale. ksoftirqd consumed about 4.7% of the
CPU according to top after several concurrent wget operations, and had
accumulated about 6 seconds of runtime, unheard of for a system uptime
of 15 minutes; the output attached is during this.

Hopefully I'm right in assuming that; on all other systems I've
experimented with ksoftirqd doesn't even flinch unless subjected to

Did some further testing with a machine of identical configuration
(suffers the same issue too); removed iptables from the suspects list,
as the issue exists sans those modules.

Hopefully the attached shows some irregularity. If not, I'll have to
reply back in a few weeks when the problem recurs over the course of time.