    SubjectRe: 2.6.4-mm1
    > > For SMT there is a patch from Intel pending that teaches x86-64
    > > to set up the SMT scheduler. They said they got slightly better
    > > benchmark results. The SMT setup seems to be racy though.
    > Am I correct in thinking that this patch provides the necessary hooks to
    > integrate x86_4 into the new functionality which sched-domains provides, or
    > is the Intel patch independent of sched-domains?

    It sets up the sched-domains code to know about HyperThreading CPUs
    on x86-64 too (basically same thing as the i386 code does with a
    few minor tweaks)

    So it's dependent on that.

    I will send it to you in separate mail.

    > > Some kind of SMT scheduler is definitely needed, we have a serious
    > > regression compared to 2.4 here right now. I'm not sure this
    > > is the right approach though, it seems to be far too complex.
    > Well that's discouraging. I really do want to push this thing along a bit.
    > Yours is the only report of regression of which I am aware. Is the reason
    > understood?

    I think the reason is that it doesn't do balance on clone/fork. The
    normal scheduler also doesn't do that, but for some reason it still does
    better on the benchmarks (but worse than the old 2.4 -aa/Intel O(1) HT

    > And is anyone developing alternative SMT enhancements?

    I thought there was a patch from Ingo Molnar? ("shared runqueue")
    I must admit I never tried it, just remember seeing the patches.

    Also I've been playing with the entitlement scheduler to fix
    some of the interactivity problems I have on UP, but it also
    seems to still have problems.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.020 / U:0.664 seconds]