    SubjectRe: UID/GID mapping system
    On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 08:08:31AM -0600, Jesse Pollard wrote:
    > On Wednesday 10 March 2004 17:46, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > > If the client is trusted to mount NFS, then it is also trusted enough not
    > > to use the wrong UID. There is no "more" or "less" safe in this regard.
    > It is only trusted to not misuse the uids that are mapped for that client. If
    > the client DOES misuse the uids, then only those mapped uids will be affected.
    > UIDS that are not mapped for that host will be protected.
    > It is to ISOLATE the penetration to the host that this is done. The server
    > will not and should not extend trust to any uid not authorized to that host.
    > This is what the UID/GID maps on the server provide.

    You're making an argument that uid mapping on the server could be used
    to provide additional security; I agree.

    I don't believe you can argue, however, that providing uid mapping on
    the client would *decrease* security, unless you believe that mapping
    uid's on the client precludes also mapping uid's on the server.

    --Bruce Fields

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.029 / U:1.004 seconds]