SubjectRe: [Announce] Emulex LightPulse Device Driver
Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
> Flag problem on sparc is fixed by Keith Wesolowsky for 2.6.3-rcX,
> and it never existed on sparc64, which keeps CWP in a separate register.
>
> Why it took years to resolve is that the expirience showed that
> there is no legitimate reason to pass flags as arguments. Every damn
> time it was done, the author was being stupid. Keith resolved it
> primarily because it was an unorthogonality in sparc implementation.

You would never know there were so many sparc people, until I post
something incorrect about it. <grin>

I stand corrected. As someone mentioned in private, it's actually a
shame that was fixed, since that's one less argument that can be used
against such wrappers ;-)

>>But this bug is only an example that serves to highlight the importance
>>of directly using Linux API functions throughout your code. It may
>>sound redundant, but "Linux code should look like Linux code." This
>>emphasis on style may sound trivial, but it's important for
>>review-ability, long term maintenance, and as we see here, bug prevention.
>

> Yes yes yes. This is the way elx_sli_lock is harmful, not because
> of its passing flags.

Agreed.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.780 / U:0.136 seconds]