SubjectRe: [ACPI] acpi problem with nforce motherboards and ethernet
On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 00:40, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Luis Miguel García <ktech@wanadoo.es> wrote:
> >
> > David Ford wrote:
> >
> > > I have the same problem. I "solved" it a while ago by mucking with
> > > the AGP stuff. IIRC, it was turning off AGP fast writes or 8x or
> > > something similar in cmos. Went from incredibly broken to stable
> > > instantly. I'll check my cmos settings in a bit and refresh my memory.
> > >
> > > What patches are you using?
> >

> > I'm using nforce2-apic.patch and nforce2-disconnect-quirk.patch that
> > Andrew Morton have sent to me. I think they have been included in
> > previous mm kernels but now are droped because they caused some
> > temperature problems for some people with no nforce motherboards.
>
> Yes, the patch which disables "Halt Disconnect and Stop Grant Disconnect"
> apparently causes the CPU to run hot.
>
> > By the way, is anyone involved in solving the IO-APIC thing in nforce
> > motherboards? Anyone trying a different approach? Anyone contacting
> > nvidia about this problem?
>
> As far as I know, we're dead in the water on these problems.

One day hopefully this will be sorted in the BIOSes and in mainline. I
keep having to patch for every release (although as thats the only patch
I have to do I'm sure there are many worse off than me). I use the 3com
n/w on my A7N8X Deluxe v2 BIOS 1007 so no need for nforcedeth.

Best patches are at:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/12/21/7

Ive applied them to 2.6.0 and 2.6.1 and give no crashes and no heat
issues.

(XP2600+ runs at 31/32C normal use and 38C compiling with Zalman cooler
+exhaust fans in box)

Craig

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.268 / U:0.656 seconds]