SubjectRe: PATCH - ext2fs privacy (i.e. secure deletion) patch

> The obvious thing to do would be to make it a mount option, so that
> (a) recompilation is not necessary in order to use the feature, and
> (b) the feature can be turned on or off on a per-filesystem feature.
> In 2.6, it's possible to specify certain mount option to be specifed
> by default on a per-filesystem basis (via a new field in the
> superblock).
>
> So if you do things that way, then secure deletion would take place
> either if the secure deletion flag is set (so it can be enabled on a
> per-file basis), or if the filesystem is mounted with the
> secure-deletion mount option.

Makes sense to me. If either the file system, or the file, are in
'secure delete' mode, then erase everything about the file. Allowing the
paranoid to have the option as default, and the concerned to target
specific files. I like it.

peace,

--gq

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.134 / U:2.352 seconds]