    SubjectRe: 2.6.0, cdrom still showing directories after being erased
    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Tomas Zvala wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I believe he meant to write he umounted it.
    > The problem is that there is still some data left in CDRW's cache and it
    > needs to be emptied. That happens when CDRW is ejected and reinserted
    > (that is why windows burning software ie. Nero wants to eject the CDR/RW
    > when it gets written or erased).
    > Maybe kernel could flush the buffers/caches or whatever is there when
    > CDROM gets mounted. But im afraid about compatibility with broken drives
    > such as LG.
    >
    > Tomas Zvala

    That's not what he said and, I assure you that if he unmounted
    it there would not be any buffers to flush. Execute `man umount`.

    The problem is that the cd-burner allowed the read-only file-system
    to be modified while it was mounted. That is an applications problem
    because the file-system is R/O, but the device is not. The kernel
    will correctly prevent writes to the R/O file-system, and will
    correctly allow writes to the underlying device. It is up to
    the application (cdrecord) to prevent undesired operations.

    > Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Martin [iso-8859-2] Povolný wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have debian's 2.6.0-686-smp only with PNP BIOS disabled (fails to
    > >>boot with enabled, as described by other people).
    > >>
    > >>I did
    > >>
    > >>$ mount /cdrom/
    > >>$ ls /cdrom/
    > >>
    > >>got listing of files and directories on the cdrom
    > >>then
    > >>
    > >>$ cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -blank=fast -v
    > >>Blanking time: 21.570s
    > >>$ mount /cdrom
    > >>$ ls /cdrom
    > >>

    > >Can you really initialize the CDROM while it's mounted? Although
    > >the kernel doesn't care, cdrecord should. Suggest that you
    > >contact the cdrecord author.
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >Dick Johnson
    > >Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).
    > > Note 96.31% of all statistics are fiction.
    > >

    > >-
    > >To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    > >the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    > >More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    > >Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
    > >

    > -

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.025 / U:120.744 seconds]