    SubjectRe: A Layered Kernel: Proposal

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Rik van Riel wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jesse Pollard wrote:
    > > Until you add IPSEC...
    > >
    > > Unless the TOE has the same security support (encrypt some packets, not
    > > others, require verification from some networks, not others,...), and
    > > flexibility that the Linux network stack has, and ...
    > Exactly. I just don't see TOE as a viable option for
    > networking, so I'm not too worried about not supporting
    > it.

    It depends. Some of these integrated gadgets aren't very successful;
    others, however, are. Compare true modems to winmodems, or modern
    videocards with built-in rendering etc to bare ones. Also, on embedded
    systems with very tight memory and speed requirements, a TOE card may be a
    bad, but the only available solution.

    So, IMO, a proposed kernel model must have the means to support similar
    devices. Some will be bad, but some may be good.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.018 / U:23.688 seconds]