SubjectRe: kgdb: rename i386-stub.c to kgdb.c
Tom Rini wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:17:15PM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:
>
>>Pavel Machek wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!

>>>Well, looking at i386-stub.c, how do you know it is kgdb-related?

>>>I actually made it kernel/kgdb.c and arch/*/kernel/kgdb.c. I believe
>>>there's no point where one could be confused....
>>
>>gdb itself gets confused with this. Try, for example, time.c which, on the
>>x86, is in both arch and common code. I use emacs with kgdb and it gets
>>confused when I point at a location in the source and tell it to set a
>>break point.
>>
>>Please, lets have only one of each name.
>

> We can't. We've had various things (most notably MODVERSIONS prior to
> 2.6) which are unhappy with that, and in the end, the problem ends up
> being fixed elsewhere. In fact, this should be able to as well. Using
> your time.c example:
> (gdb) break arch/i386/kernel/time.c:set_rtc_mmss
> Breakpoint 3 at 0xc010ee90: file arch/i386/kernel/time.c, line 174.
> (gdb) break kernel/time.c:sys_time
> Breakpoint 4 at 0xc011f0cc: file time.h, line 301.
>
> So shouldn't it be a matter of somehow just not having a time.c
> reference as well in the debug data?

No it is related to the point and grunt option in emacs:

I would guess it is a problem in the emacs interface where one points at a
location in the code window and enters a command to set a break point ( I think
it is "^x " (control X space)). It would appear that emacs then only sends the
file name to gdb rather than the full path.

This is not a show stopping problem, only confusing. Once gdb figures out the
right source, all is well. I usually do it by setting a break point at the
function by name, thus avoiding the point and grunt thing.

--
George Anzinger george@mvista.com