SubjectRe: BOOT_CS
Date
Followup to:  <20040224100530.68794.qmail@web11805.mail.yahoo.com>
By author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Etienne=20Lorrain?= <etienne_lorrain@yahoo.fr>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> The other problem is for the people who want to check the validity
> of the RAM disk before starting Linux - for instance by checking
> the CRC32 of the decompressed RAM disk - and stop the boot process
> before it is too late - i.e. in the bootloader when you can select
> another kernel version / initrd to load.
> You cannot place the decompressed initrd at a maximum address before
> knowing its decompressed size - the address to place it is the max
> address (or the end of free RAM) minus ramdisk size if I remember
> correctly. That is working for so long loading the decompressed
> initrd after few Mb after the last kernel byte (so that the kernel
> will move it where it wants - no need to move it twice) that I do
> not remember the details. Did you changed this part?

If you absolutely want to do this -- for pretty much no reason -- you
can either decompress it twice, decompress it to nowhere (after all,
the kernel will decompress it when it starts) or move it into place
before starting the kernel.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.030 / U:0.212 seconds]