SubjectRe: network / performance problems

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, David S. Miller wrote:

> Hmmm, I wonder if the connection tracking tables are simply never shrinking.
>
> Can you get some kernel profiles when the problem hits? If you don't know how
> to do this, it's got to be documented somewhere and I'm sure someone can point
> you at how to do it.
>
> I bet we'll see netfilter at the top of the profiles or something like that.

OK.

I haven't done kernel profiling before. Did a little googling and this is
what I think I know (2.4.x)

In lilo.conf, do append="profile=2" (is 2 a good number?)
reboot
echo > /proc/profile
readprofile -m System.map-2.4.24 (or whatever)

Is that correct?

Of course, this problem happens fastest on productions machines, which I
hate to put out of commission... I need to turn my attention to some
other stuff for a bit today, but tonight I'll see if I can't work
something up on a non-production machine to make it go bad. Then do some
profiling.