SubjectRe: Promise SATA driver
Henrik Gustafsson wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:47:36 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Andrew Walrond wrote:
>>
>>> I take it the software raid thing wasn't part of the gpl'ed driver,
>>> and isn't something that is likely to happen?
>>

>> In 2.4, RAID0 and RAID1 are supported via the pdcraid driver.
>>
>> In 2.6, Promise software RAID support does not exist. In
>> conversations with Promise, we all agreed to encourage and support the
>> standard Linux RAID, md.
>>
>> Jeff
>

> Does that apply to the FastTrack S150 SX4 aswell? The hardware
> XOR-engine will not be used?
> What about the onboard cache?

I'm glad you asked.

The SX4 is a very different story. The hardware XOR engine and on-board
cache are not currently used, but they will be in the future.

For the TX series, there is no on-board cache, so hardware XOR engine
isn't very useful. For the SX series, it is very useful.

Promise did some neat stuff with the SX4... so neat it takes some
thinking to figure out how to best implement it in Linux :)

Jeff

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans