SubjectRe: Adaptec 1210SA SATA Controller Performance
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:10:15PM +0100, Patrick Petermair wrote:
> Yesterday I've setup a server with Adaptec's 1210SA SATA Controller and
> 2 SATA disks. According to the kernel changelog the controller is
> supported since 2.6.2
>
> I've installed Debian on an IDE disk, built a 2.6.3 kernel with
> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIL, rebooted and the kernel detected the controller
> plus both SATA disks (sda, sdb). As the next step I wanted to create a
> software raid 1 with the 2 SATA disks. Because it took mdadm forever to
> finish, I checked /proc/mdstat and saw a progress bar with a rate of 12MB/s!
>
> Even my oldest IDE disk is faster than this. Is there a way to tweak the
> SATA controller/disk with some kernel-options or is the driver not
> providing more speed?

You don't say what make of disk these are. It may be that you've
fallen foul of the Seagate/SiI erratum, which (as far as I can tell)
still kills performance. I have a 120GiB Seagate disk attached to a
SiI3112 controller, and I'm lucky if I get 12MiB/s with the IDE-layer
driver. I haven't tried the libata driver yet.

I'm not too worried about that set-up, because I don't need massive
performance off that disk anyway, but something faster might be
nice. :)

Hugo.

PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
--- Jazz is the sort of music where no-one plays anything the ---
same way once.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.087 / U:0.128 seconds]