SubjectRe: UTF-8 filenames
Date
Robin Rosenberg replied to me:

> > Of course. Perhaps my use of reductio al absurdum was unclear.

Actually Mark Hahn got me on that, it should be ad, but I get too many ads
already. Now reminiscing about the days before I posted to LKML, because my
inbox was less than 75% spams in those days.

> > I was trying to show that UTF-8, despite its sanity, is not universally
> > agreeable. The actual reason is because it came late to the scene
> > (around 20 years ago) and it is not backwards compatible.
>
> Even later, it's from 1992 I believe

Oh, then it was even later to the scene than I thought.

> and a standard even later. That is long after we went from national
> variants of ASCII to ISO-Latin-1. If I recall it correctly it was the
> years around 1987 that we started having multiple encodings fo text.

SJIS and EUC both existed before 1987.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.054 / U:0.132 seconds]