SubjectRe: Intel vs AMD x86-64
On Sam, 2004-02-21 at 19:12 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Any Intel people on this list: tell your managers to be f*cking ashamed of
> themselves. Just because Intel didn't care about their customers and has
> been playing with some other 64-bit architecture that nobody wanted to use
> is no excuse for not giving credit to AMD for what they did with x86-64.

This very clear statement deserves standing ovations :-)

If anyone from Intel is really listening here I would like them to know
that I am pretty much pissed of by their product politics as well.

Although older Celeron processors supported SMP configurations they were
not supported and to my knowledge never used in the primary SMP market.
So in fact they even helped Intel to increase their revenues by allowing
hobbyists to build their own affordable SMP boxes. Nonetheless Intel has
decided to disable this capability in current Celeron and even Pentium
processors attempting to force hobbyists into the professional market
with about four times the cost of previous configurations.

For my part I have understood the message from Intel, that they do not
want hobbyists looking for cheap SMP configurations as their customers
and will accordingly buy AMD in the future.

Tom

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.145 / U:1.960 seconds]