SubjectRe: High read Latency test (Anticipatory I/O scheduler)

I was able to repeat Robert Love's results on a machine with
a simple IDE controller, two-processer system, with 500 meg memory,
ext2 file system, mounted with the noatime option. I think
Robert's article also indicated he used an IDE controller for disk.

The results can be influenced a lot by your disk/controller
configuration. RAID controllers in particular, or disks with large
TCQ may not perform as well with anticipatory scheduler.

Also, there were some changes to the read-ahead policy that
came between 2.6.2 and 2.6.3, I think. That has been shown
to make a measureable difference on systems here.

Try again with 2.6.3.

Also, try setting the antic_expire scheduler parameter for
the queue for your disk, and see what results you get.
That should hopefully be close to 2.4's behavior. If it isn't,
then there's probably something more going on than just the
IO scheduler.