SubjectSATA hotswap with libata?

I've been testing a box with RAID1 in software, and thought I'd have
a look at the possibility of hotswap. with "normal" PATA (ie, not
libata) I would have tried to fiddle with hdparm -U / -R, but trying
that with a drive using libata (and showing up as sd*) nothing
happens. this isn't much of a surprise, but I don't seem to find
any other suggestions on how to do hotswap with IDE drives.

the hardware in question is a Promise SATA 150 TX4 (without any RAID
support), with two WD 1200JD drives attached. Promise "SuperSwap
1100"[1] canisters hold the drives and make them easy to plug in and
out. / and /boot is located on these drives, using lilo 22.5.8 to
boot from the RAIDset.

the current kernel being run is 2.4.24 with patches for libata and
skas3 (the box will hopefully run some user-mode images in the near
future). all my other boxes run 2.6, but the possible acquisition
of a PVR-350 card and the lack of 2.6 support for ivtv makes me want
to live on 2.4 if it can be done.

I'll be more than happy to test kernels, patches and pretty much
anything that might help.

[1] the "SuperSwap 1100" should be called "Plastic Fantastic". it's
really depressing to work with, but it sort of does it's job. I
suppose that's worth something, although it's not worth what one
pays for the canisters. *sigh*

--
Terje