    SubjectRe: Intel vs AMD x86-64
    To whom ever making a list

    The sysenter/syscall thing continues.

    On ia32e sysenter/sysleave is legal in 64 bit, but since ia32e also
    implement syscall in 64bit (only, not in legacy, nor compatability) this
    shouldn't have any practical implications.

    TJ

    On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 02:44, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Ok,
    > now that Intel has finally come clean about their x86-64 implementation
    > (see
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/index.htm?iid=techtrends+spotlight_64bit
    >
    > for full details), can somebody write up a list of differences? I know
    > there are people who have had access to the Intel docs for a while now,
    > and obviously Intel is too frigging proud to list the differences
    > explicitly.
    >
    > >From what I can tell from a quick look, it looks like it is basically just
    > the 3DNow vs SSE3 thing, but I assume there are other details too. Can
    > people who have been involved with this make a quick list for the rest of
    > us who only got to see the final details today?
    >
    > (And I assume there's somebody with a few patches pending..)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Linus
    > -

    Terje Eggestad
    Senior Software Engineer
    dir. +47 22 62 89 61
    mob. +47 975 31 57
    fax. +47 22 62 89 51
    terje.eggestad@scali.com

    Scali - www.scali.com
    High Performance Clustering

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.022 / U:118.536 seconds]