SubjectEureka! (was Re: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity)

Ok,
I think I've got it. Here's an algorithm that will have "perfect"
behaviour under normal circumstances as long as you've got enough memory.

Admittedly the "you've got enough memory" part is a downside, but it's so
_damn_ clean and simple that it is, I think, a reasonable trade-off.
Besides, if you want good file serving numbers, you'd better have enough
memory anyway.

Basic approach: add two bits to the VFS dentry flags. That's all that is
needed. Then you have two new system calls:

- set_bit_one(dirfd)
- set_bit_two_if_one_is_set(dirfd);
- check_or_create_name(dirfd, name, case_table_pointer, newfd);

The VFS rule is:
- all new dentries start off with the two magic bits clear
- whenever we shrink a dentry, we clear the two magic bits in the parent

and that is _all_ the VFS layer ever does. Even Al won't find this
obnoxious (yeah, we might clear the bits after a timeout on things that
need re-validation, but that's in the noise).

The "set_bit_one()" system call will set one of the magic bits (with the
dcache lock held) in the dentry that is pointed to by the file descriptor.
Nothing more.

The "set_bit_two_if_one_is_set()" system call will set the _other_ magic
bit (with the dcache lock held) in the dentry, if the first bit is set.
Otherwise it will just return.

Let's leave the "check_or_create_name()" thing for now, and see how we can
use this in user space (and realize that we only do this on cache failure,
so this is the "slow case"):

set_bit_one(dir);
lseek(dir, 0, SEEK_SET);
while (readdir(dir, de)) {
stat(de->d_name);
.. might also compare the name here with whatever it is
working on right now..
}
set_bit_two_if_one_is_set(dirfd);

Notice what the above does? After the above loop, bit two will be set IFF
the dentry cache now contains every single name in the directory.
Otherwise it will be clear. Bit two will basically be a "dcache complete"
bit.

Now, let's go to "check_or_create_name()", which can thus do:

- for each name in the dcache name list, compare the dang thing
without case.
- return "lookup succeeded" (the file descriptor of the thing it
successfully looked up) if a match with a positive dentry occurs.
- check bit two, return -ENOCACHE if it was clear.
- create the new dentry with the new name and the new file descriptor
inode, and return success.

Notice? Basically _ZERO_ changes to the VFS layer, together with basically
perfect hot-cache-case behaviour.

Yeah, yeah, the above is probably glossing over a lot of issues (there's a
race if somebody does both the "readdir loop" and the "create" case at the
same time, so that would need a lock around it in user space, but please
realize that the readdir loop only happens if the "check_or_create()"
thing fails, so the readdir loop should basically never happen in the
hot-cache case.

And the above allows perfect behaviour even for new filenames that we have
never seen before (ie a create of a new file with a random name). At least
as long as the dcache for that directory remains "complete" (which it will
do, until the kernel needs to throw something out).

Am I a super-intelligent bastard, or am I a complete nincompoop? You
decide.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:1.802 / U:0.012 seconds]