    SubjectRe: Non-GPL export of invalidate_mmap_range
    On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:00:55PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 02:51:32PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > a) Does the export make technical sense? Do filesystems have
    > > legitimate need for access to this symbol?
    > >
    > > (really, a) is sufficient grounds, but for real-world reasons:)
    > >
    > > b) Does the IBM filsystem meet the kernel's licensing requirements?
    > >

    > > It appears that the answers are a): yes and b) probably.
    > Well, the answer to b) is most likely not. I see it very hard to argue to
    > have something like gpfs not beeing a derived work. The glue code they
    > had online certainly looked very much like a derived work, and if the new
    > version got better they wouldn't have any reason to remove it from the
    > website, right?

    Nice conspiracy theory! ;-)

    It was moved to a different website some time ago:

    The current version is 2.2.0-1. You will get a tar.gz file, and
    the glue code source will be in gpfs.gpl-2.2.0-1.noarch.rpm after
    you unpack.

    Thanx, Paul

    > > Please, feel free to add additional criteria. We could also ask "do we
    > > want to withhold this symbols to encourage IBM to GPL the filesystem" or
    > > "do we simply refuse to export any symbol which is not used by any GPL
    > > software" (if so, why?).
    > Yes. Andrew, please read the GPL, it's very clear about derived works.
    > Then please tell me why you think gpfs is not a derived work.
    > > But at the end of the day, if we decide to not export this symbol, we owe
    > > Paul a good, solid reason, yes?
    > Yes. We've traditionally not exported symbols unless we had an intree user,
    > and especially not if it's for a module that's not GPL licensed.
    > We had this discussion with Linus a few time, maybe he can comment again to
    > make it clear.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.021 / U:0.304 seconds]