SubjectRe: 2.6.2: "-" or "_", thats the question
> >>Most users don't want to remember that it's ip_conntrack but uhci-hcd.
> >
> > I'd like to chime in about this.
> >
> > I'd prefer it be - all the way around (I know I can use either). Since I
> > can ask for module uhci_hcd or uhci-hcd and get uhci-hcd.ko loaded, I've
> > been using -. It's a bit easier to type since I don't have to hit shift for
> > each _
> >

> It is really not important here whether anybody prefers '_'
> or '-'. IMHO everybody should be free to use both, even
> within one symbol filename.

That's good. This is pretty much all I want =)

> What I do not like is that /proc/modules lies about the
> names of the loaded modules. I can understand that you
> are not affected by this problem, because all you see is
> module-init-tools, but others _are_ affected.

I did not realize that /proc/modules lied. From a user standpoint, it may
not be /proc/modules lying, it may be module-init-tools lying to the kernel
about the module it just loaded. I don't know, I have not looked at the
code for module-init-tools. I checked one of my 2.6 machines and indeed all
modules are with an _ instead of a -

When I first noticed that [eou]hci_hcd was loaded I figured all modules were
using _ now. When I was playing with alsa it never clicked in about the -
and _. I see now that it's _ in /proc/modules.

[OT] why is the usb drivers named with -hcd at the end anyway?