SubjectRe: dm-crypt using kthread
Andrew Morton wrote:
> Christophe Saout <christophe@saout.de> wrote:
>
>>+ This device-mapper target allows you to create a device that
>> + transparently encrypts the data on it. You'll need to activate
>> + the required ciphers in the cryptoapi configuration in order to
>> + be able to use it.
>

> Is there more documentation that this? I'd imagine a lot of crypto-loop
> users wouldn't have a clue how to get started on dm-crypt, especially if
> they have not used device mapper before.
>
> And how do they migrate existing encrypted filesytems?

And there are a reasonable number of us who build kernels without dm,
lvm, and actually run working servers on them.

Having not had problems with either file or device backed cryptoloop I'm
not eager to go do some new gee-whiz thing which require training time,
new bugs to be fixed (unless you think this is more perfect than
anything else in the kernel), etc.

Taking features out of a stable kernel, particularly those which work
for many people, doesn't sound right, somehow. New features don't break
existing setups, but removal of a feature seems to be more appropriate
for 2.7. Of course by them it's likely that bugs will be removed and
there will be no justification to remove it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc